Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Weekly Review: Carnaval de Venise Silk Knit Tie

This is my first, of hopefuly many, Weekly Reviews and this week I’m giving you an insight into my dark blue, silk knitted tie from Carnaval de Venise. But before I get to the details of this specific tie, I want to go over some of the reasons why you should incorporate a knitted tie in your outfits and how to wear it.
knit tie



Why buy a knitted tie?

A black or a dark blue (silk) knitted tie is a real men’s style essential. There are many reasons for wearing one, I’ll just give you my top 3. First off, its shows an eye for detail. The guy wearing a knitted tie isn’t the same guy who bought his tie together with his suit because the mannequin doll at the local department store was wearing that particular combo. And it’s always a good idea to get away from the department store look! Secondly a knit tied is a great way to add some flair to an outfit. A lot of blogs say it’s a way to dress down a formal look or dress up an informal look. I partly agree; only in the most formal of occasions (funerals, job interviews, board meetings, …) would I advise against wearing a knit tie. On the other hand, I think that dressing up a casual outfit with a knit tie is a bit exaggerated. A third reason you should consider adding a piece like this to your wardrobe is that’s an easy way to add texture to your outfit.

knit tie 



knit tie


Some advice

When wearing a knitted tie there are a few things to keep in mind. Although it’s physically possible to use different knots, the four-in-hand is really the only option. All other knots will be too large en bulky. Although for some this might seem fairly obvious, for those just getting acquainted with knitted ties it’s worth pointing out that the ‘tip’ of the tie, well, isn’t really a tip, since it is flat. Talking about the tip of the tie, knitted ties are shorter than regular ties so the tip won’t, and shouldn’t, fall exactly at the belt buckle, but slightly higher. Below I’ve added some pictures demonstrating how I integrate my knitted tie in my wardrobe, giving you some casual examples as well as more formal variants. A final point isn’t so much on how to wear it as it’s on maintains: you should keep your knitted ties rolled up or folded in your closet to keep them from stretching.

knit tie


knit tie
Bijschrift toevoegen

knit tie










About my knitted tie

Now, finally, too the tie itself. I bought this tie for €46.80 at De Witte Duif and it happened to be from Carnaval de Venise (apparently they don’t have a website). The color is mainly dark blue but there are some light blue details, like a stitched logo and at the “tip”. The dimensions are 145 cm in length and a 6,5cm in width. I didn’t know the brand before I bought it; never the less I’m very happy with it. I’ve worn it many times and it’s still in excellent shape so it certainly stands up to my quality expectations.

knit tie


4 comments: